Hey guys! I know it’s been a while....okay it’s been a long while but I’m finally getting back into the swing of things! :)
With the holidays quickly approaching I’ve been very busy putting together some last minute Christmas gifts. I just finished making these simple Christmas gifts for my son’s teachers.
You will need:
- A glass jar with a lid. (I found mine at Wal-Mart for $2.98. You could also try Goodwill, they usually have LOTS of glass items)
- Chalkboard paint. (You can find a small bottle of it in the craft section for about $2)
- A small brush or mini roller
- Masking tape
- A piece of chalk
- Twisted jute twine
- Gift tag
- Start with a clean jar. Mask off the area you want to paint with masking tape. Make sure you smooth out any bubbles to prevent the paint from bleeding through.
- Paint the area you taped off with chalkboard paint. It may take several coats. I used about 4 coats letting it dry between layers.
- After your paint has completely dried rip off the tape. I found that it works best if you just tear it off quickly like a band-aid.
- Prime the chalkboard area by rubbing chalk over the entire label and then gently wipe off.
- Fill jar with your favorite treat (I filled mine with homemade granola) and label your jar with chalk.
- Wrap twine around the top of the jar and add a gift tag. I made my own gift tags by using plain ol’ printer paper that I dyed with tea bags.
My Granola Recipe:
- 10 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 lb. shredded coconut
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/6 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dried Cranberries (optional)